EKU Honors is designed for students like you, who want an in-depth college classroom experience with a strong grounding in an interdisciplinary, liberal arts education. Whatever your major, you'll take advantage of our small, team-taught classes. These classes replace most, if not all, of your general education and university requirements. Before you graduate as an Honors Scholar, you'll complete an Honors Thesis on the topic of your choice.
As an Honors student, you'll get to know your fellow students and professors at our monthly pizza suppers and on trips to local theatre and dance performances, the Kentucky Opera, and the annual meeting of the National Collegiate Honors Council, where it's common for more students from EKU to present their work than from any other honors program or college in the nation. In EKU Honors, you'll make friends and have experiences that will last a lifetime.
Beyond our innovative courses and caring faculty, EKU Honors students enjoy many perks and benefits as part of their Honors membership:
- The Honors Presidential Scholarship if you don't already qualify for an EKU tuition scholarship of greater value
- Free textbooks with the Books-on-Loan Award
- Priority registration so you can get the classes you need
- The chance to live in the Honors Living Learning Community (LLC), located in either Burnam or Martin Hall
- Use of the Honors Study Lounge, located near Honors classrooms and offices
- Extended library checkout privileges, including the ability to check out materials from EKU's Crabbe Library for up to four weeks
- Extension of the Books-on-Loan Award for your graduate degree if you graduate as an Honors Scholar and attend graduate school at EKU
EKU Honors holds one application cycle each year. The EKU Honors application will open in early August, and the deadline for applications is always the second Monday in January each year. Students must apply and be accepted to EKU before applying for EKU Honors. EKU Honors courses are only offered at the EKU Richmond campus. All incoming students begin EKU Honors in the fall semester unless they are automatic transfer students from another honors program or college.
The Fall 2018 application deadline of January 8, 2017 has passed. We do not accept late applications. Applications for Fall 2019 will open in early August.
Students can expect an application decision mailed to the address they provided on their application by mid-February. Students who are conditionally accepted to EKU Honors are required to return email notification of their acceptance by May 1, to be fully accepted and secure their place in EKU Honors.
Students transferring from another honors program or college may be admitted to any fall or spring term. Students must complete the automatic transfer steps before the first day of classes of the term during which they plan to attend EKU and join EKU Honors.
Do you have questions about applying and being admitted to EKU Honors? Check out our FAQ section on admission and applications.