Honors Program Application
All applications, including recommendation letters, must be submitted by 5:00 pm EST on Monday, January 8, 2018. We do not accept late applications.
Before you apply, please make sure:
- You have applied and been accepted to EKU
- You have your EKU ID number
- You have your EKU email address and have activated it
- You have prepared your résumé, essay, and creative short answer following the directions below. Each of these documents should be saved as a PDF and labeled according to these directions. You will upload these as you complete this application.
- You know who will write your letter of recommendation and have their full name and email address. If you are an incoming first-year student, this should be a teacher or counselor who knows you well. If you are a current EKU or transfer student, this should be a college professor who knows you well.
Include a list of your relevant activities, honors, and interests, keeping the total to no more than two typed pages. List your full name on the top of each page and, in the order that makes the most sense to you, include detailed information on any of the following that pertain to you. Be sure to list the duration - with beginning and ending dates - for all activities:
- Academic and creative activities (including academic competitions, honors societies, creative performances, research activities, etc.)
- Volunteer and community activities
- Leadership experiences
- Employment history
- Other relevant information not covered elsewhere (including extracurricular activities, athletics, etc.)
In a succinct but detailed essay, answer one of the following prompts. Your essay should be double-spaced, typed in a 12 pt. font, and no longer than 500 words.
- Discuss aspects of your life that illustrate how you define and value service to your community and world.
- Discuss a time where you stepped outside of your academic comfort zone and came out as a better student and scholar because of it.
Creative Short Answer (lastname_firstname_creative.pdf):
Help us get to know you in a unique and creative way. Submit a short piece of text that shows us something important about yourself. This could be a 140 character tweet, a haiku, an acrostic, a short poem, etc. - it's up to you! There is no word count requirement, but your creative short answer must fit onto one page, front only.
Please do not fill out this application and instead visit one of the following links if you fall into one of the following two categories:
- If you are an incoming first-year student and have been named a National Merit finalist or semi-finalist, please click here to learn how to join our program.
- If you are a transfer student currently in good standing in an honors program or college at your current institution, please click here to learn how to join our program.
This application must be submitted all at one time and cannot be saved. Please make sure you have carefully read the information above and prepared all necessary documents before beginning this application.